Saturday, November 4, 2017

Revving Up for 39

November is here once again, which means that my birthday is right around the corner. I’ve been thinking about how I want to do another challenge for months now, but I didn’t come up with the details until yesterday. This probably doesn’t bode well for me actually completing the challenge. However, I’m not willing to throw in the towel yet.

I finally settled on a traditional (and uninspired) challenge: climbing the same number of boulder problems as the age I’m turning. There are a few restrictions and limitations that are providing the parameters (and perhaps making it impossible to complete). I have three hours to do the challenge (my mother in law will be watching Baby Z for this amount of time and three is part of 39 so that works well). I’ll have to make it home in order to put Baby Z down for his afternoon nap. Aside from climbing 39 problems, I want to have 9 of them be rated V3 (which is currently the hardest grade I’ve been climbing in the gym. I’ll climb as many different problems as possible, but there will certainly be repeats.

Adding to the challenge is the fact that I’m a *little* out of shape with my climbing. I’ve only been going to the gym a few days a month and climbing for around an hour. So I’m pretty unprepared for what I’ve got lined up. But I do feel like I have a chance of completing it, which means that it fits the bill for being a good challenge.


I’ll be bouldering solo, which is a bummer since encouragement is always nice, but my husband has to go to work and I don’t have any other climbing partners in the neighborhood. Even if it doesn’t go well, at least I’ll have given it the old college try! Carpe Diem.   

1 comment: