Thursday, November 17, 2011

Setbacks

Since last writing, I was feeling really fired up about training hard. I climbed one day at the gym, ran two 6.6 mile runs, and did a hard one hour ride on the trainer. But then the setbacks began. And somehow all the things that I had feared would happen when I first started planning my challenge did happen. I got injured, sick, and the weather turned rotten.

During my last session of climbing last Thursday, my pointer finger on my right hand started to hurt. I cut the evening short figuring it was better to take care of my hands than to train anymore. I appear to have tendonitis in my finger and was in pretty bad pain the day after climbing (I made a makeshift splint at work because movement of any kind was hurting). It’s been a week since it started hurting and while the pain has lessened immensely, I can still feel it when I grip anything. I’ve been icing it several times a day and taking ibuprofen. Hopefully with a few more days rest it will be feeling even better.

On Saturday morning, I woke up with a sore throat. I spent the weekend reading on the couch and taking lots of Zicam and vitamin C instead of training. I figured that by Monday I’d been on the mend. Instead, I woke up Monday full blown sick and spent most of the remaining week at home. I managed a half day today, but was so exhausted that I had to come home after my class left at 11:30.

I’ve been checking Mountain View weather obsessively in the last week and it’s gone from bad (30% of showers) to worse (70% chance of rain with a high of 59). So I first toyed with moving my challenge to Saturday. However, when I considered how rotten I felt today, I decided the wisest decision would be to move the challenge to Monday. By then hopefully, I’ll be all better (including my tendonitis) and the weather is supposed to be clear. Sadly, since Monday is only a holiday for me, the supporters of my challenge (friends who were going to do various parts with me) will be at work. My boyfriend is currently my only support.

While things aren’t going exactly as I had planned, I’m still pretty excited about the challenge itself. I may not be as prepared as I wanted to, but I’m fairly confident that I will be able to finish my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment